Here is how you can help us thank a Nebraska farmer or rancher!
- Have students write, draw, or create thank you letters or thank you cards to farmers. Students may sign the cards, but please do not include last names.
- Send your thank you letters in a pack to:
Nebraska Farm Bureau Foundation
Attn: Thank a Farmer or Rancher
5225 S. 16th Street
Lincoln, NE 68512
We will make sure REAL farmers and ranchers read your thank you letters!
- Complete this FREE sample lesson. Then have a discussion about farming in America.
- During Thanksgiving, it is easy to bring up food in the classroom. Pull up a picture of a Thanksgiving day plate or ask students to name common foods on a Thanksgiving day plate. Then discuss the agricultural origins of each item on the plate! (Example: Turkey, cranberries, green beans, potatoes, stuffing.)
- Have students in groups use a computer and the internet to discover where the ingredients such as pumpkins, butter, sugar and wheat come from. Give each group one ingredient; don’t tell them what the final product is going to be. Have students present where their ingredient is from, and then have the class as a whole guess what the recipe is for!
- Invite a real farmer into your classroom to discuss their operation.
Suggested books and resources: